Max Bill was born in Winterthur in 1908. He was one of the world’s most important representatives of constructive-concrete art.
Max Bill was the prominent Zurich protagonist of the Bauhaus style. A degree in architecture from the Bauhaus in Dessau, a role as co-founder of the Hochschule für Gestaltung (University of Design) and membership of the "Zürcher Konkreten" (concrete art group) are just three of the key stages in his career as an artist. In 1983, Max Bill created his Pavilion Sculpture, a construction comprising clear, straight lines that today enjoys a prime position in front of the head office of the UBS bank on the Bahnhofstrasse.
Max Bill died in December 1994 in Zurich. A square has been named after him in Zurich-Nord.