Standing slightly higher than Zurich’s Main Train Station, the University Quarter and Central traffic hub, the Liebfrauenkirche church comes into view.
During the 19th century, the number of Catholics in Zurich grew significantly. The urgent need arose for a second Catholic church in addition to the St. Peter and Paul church. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1893 in the style of an early Christian Basilica, based on plans by the architect August Hardegger. It was built in honor of Mary, the mother of God. The tower is reminiscent of a Romanesque campanile, a freestanding clock tower. The Liebfrauenkirche was based on these Italian models to reflect the ties of the Roman Catholic church in Switzerland with the Pope and Rome.